Yoshinaga-san Chi no Gargoyle or Yoshinaga-san'chi no Gargoyle (chi is a variant of nchi, abbreviation of no uchi) (吉永さん家のガーゴイル?, lit.: "Gargoyle of Yoshinaga House") is a Japanese light novel series written by Sennendou Taguchi, published by Famitsu Bunko (Enterbrain).
The story is set in Goshiki where the Totensha alchemist, Iyo Takahara, has created a rock in the shape of a wolf gargoyle that is rumored to be linked to a legendary Philosopher's Stone. The rock, nicknamed Gar-kun, was won by Futaba Yoshinaga in a lottery from the sweetshop owner who somehow obtained it from Totensha. After taking it home, Futaba learns that Gar-kun can talk, speak with animals, teleport and combat at a high level.
- Gargoyle (voice: Norio Wakamoto) - A masterpiece of highly skilled alchemists, it protects the entrance to the Yoshinaga household. Named by the Yoshinagas.
- Futaba Yoshinaga (voice: Chiwa Saito) - The only daughter and youngest member of the household. She is a boyish troublemaker who loves wrestling. In the beginning, she dislikes the Gargoyle.
- Kazumi Yoshinaga (voice: Kouki Miyata) - The older brother of Futaba. Due to his lack of masculinity, he is very often mistaken as a girl by strangers. He often steps in to prevent Futaba from causing more trouble.
- Mimori Onodera (voice: Yūna Inamura) - She is Futaba's friend. Her father is blind and led by a guide dog named Lieutenant Avery.
- Lili Hamilton (voice: Nana Mizuki) - She is Futaba's friend. Her father had been performing alchemy on her, which gave her psychic powers, which allow her to read people's minds and understand their feelings. She now lives with Kaitou Hyakushiki, who she calls Uncle.
- Kaitou Hyakushiki (voice: Susumu Chiba) - He is an extremely clever thief who can also pull off several tricks and escape from tight situations. He is Lili's new guardian.
Fourteen light novel volumes have been released from February 4, 2004 (volume 1) to May 2008 (volume 14). The novels are written by Sennendou Taguchi, illustrated by Yuji Himukai. There is also a second, related series, with four volumes released from August 10, 2006 (volume 1) to January 30, 2008 (volume 4).
- Yoshinaga-san Chi no Gargoyle (吉永さん家のガーゴイル?)
Published on February 2004 (ISBN 4757717016)
- Yoshinaga-san Chi no Gargoyle 2 (吉永さん家のガーゴイル 2?)
Published on March 2004 (ISBN 4757717881)
- Yoshinaga-san Chi no Gargoyle 3 (吉永さん家のガーゴイル 3?)
Published on June 2004 (ISBN 4757718713)
- Yoshinaga-san Chi no Gargoyle 4 (吉永さん家のガーゴイル 4?)
Published on September 2004 (ISBN 4757719671)
- Yoshinaga-san Chi no Gargoyle 5 (吉永さん家のガーゴイル 5?)
Published on November 2004 (ISBN 4757720335)
- Yoshinaga-san Chi no Gargoyle 6 (吉永さん家のガーゴイル 6?)
Published on February 2005 (ISBN 4757721331)
- Yoshinaga-san Chi no Gargoyle 7 (吉永さん家のガーゴイル 7?)
Published on May 2005 (ISBN 4757722516)
- Yoshinaga-san Chi no Gargoyle 8 (吉永さん家のガーゴイル 8?)
Published on November 2005 (ISBN 4757724888)
- Yoshinaga-san Chi no Gargoyle 9 (吉永さん家のガーゴイル 9?)
Published on April 2006 (ISBN 4757726635)
- Yoshinaga-san Chi no Gargoyle 10 (吉永さん家のガーゴイル 10?)
Published on May 2006 (ISBN 4757727429)
- Yoshinaga-san Chi no Gargoyle 11 (吉永さん家のガーゴイル 11?)
Published on November 2006 (ISBN 4757730004)
- Yoshinaga-san Chi no Gargoyle 12 (吉永さん家のガーゴイル 12?)
Published on May 2007 (ISBN 4757735030)
- Yoshinaga-san Chi no Gargoyle 13 (吉永さん家のガーゴイル 13?)
Published on October 2007 (ISBN 4757737939)
- Yoshinaga-san Chi no Gargoyle 14 (吉永さん家のガーゴイル 14?)
Published on May 2008 (ISBN 4757742304)
There is also another, related series by the name of Gargoyle Alternative. So far it has a total of 4 volumes.
- Gargoyle Alternative (ガーゴイルおるたなてぃぶ?)
Published on August 10, 2006 (ISBN 4757728662)
- Gargoyle Alternative 2 (ガーゴイルおるたなてぃぶ?)
Published on January 29, 2007 (ISBN 4757733259)
- Gargoyle Alternative 3 (ガーゴイルおるたなてぃぶ?)
Published on July 30, 2007 (ISBN 4757736312)
- Gargoyle Alternative 4 (ガーゴイルおるたなてぃぶ?)
Published on January 30, 2008 (ISBN 4757739788)
The anime began airing in April 2006 for the Spring TV season and ended with a total of 13 episodes.
Opening and Ending Themes
For some episode, character specific versions of "Ai nioide, Ai nioide" sung individually by Chiwa Saito, Nana Mizuki, or Yuuna Inamura were used as the ending theme instead of the trio version. "Kotae wa Sora no Shita" was used as the ending theme for episode 13.
|#||Title||Original air date|
|1||The Yoshinaga's Stone
"Yoshinaga-san chi no ishikkoro" (吉永さん家の石ッころ)
|A Month after Futaba obtained him, Gar-kun is gaining a bad reputation. Gar-kun assists the police and Avery, the guide dog, to capture criminals.|
|2||Clash! Angel and Devil
"Gekitotsu! Tenshi to akuma" (激突!天使と悪魔)
|Futaba is lured to the Higashimiya mansion|
"Nusumareta Shōjo" (盗まれた少女)
|Kaito Hyakushiki appears and rescues Lily from her father|
|4||The Heart That Doesn't Show in the Mirror
"Kagami ni utsuranai kokoro" (鏡に映らない心)
|The battles between many for both Lily and the Philosopher's Stone continue|
|5||The Singing Voice of the Mountain
"Yama no utagoe" (山の歌声)
|Iyo gives Futaba a helmet which has the ability to allow her to communicate with plants.|
|6||I Cannot Hear Your Song Anymore
"Mou kimi no uta wa kikoenai" (もう君の歌は聞こえない)
|The osiris appears|
|7||Lovely Lily And The Headless Dullahan
|Dullahan breaks out of the Hamilton research facility and goes after Lily who is home alone.|
|8||Gargoyle of the Silver Snow
"" (銀雪のガーゴイル !)
|Gar-kun is given a new ability|
|9||Phantom Thief Lily
"Kaitou Lily" (怪盗梨々)
|Lily and Dullahan take over for Hyakushiki who is ill|
|10||Shopping District Rhapsody
|Gar-kun and his friends help rectify the shopping district merchants' declining popularity due to a large department store opening nearby|
|11||The Red String That The Doll Found
"Ningyou ga mitsuketa akai ito" (人形がみつけた赤い糸)
|Momo, the younger sister of Kazumi's classmate and a member of their school's drama club, makes Kazumi a gift to show him her affection|
|12||A Married Couple's Quarrel is Another Flower of the Festival
|Goshiki is getting ready for the festival but one of Papa's old friends has plans to use it to advertise for the department store.|
|13||All's Well if the Festival Goes Well!
|During the festival, Lily's father and the Zachore leader cause chaos on the shopping district by using a stolen artifact on the shrine's sakura tree.|