Sabu to Ichi Torimono Hikae (佐武と市捕物控?), sometimes translated as Sabu & Ichi's Arrest Warrant, is a manga series by Shotaro Ishimori originally published in Weekly Shōnen Sunday beginning in 1966. In April 1968, the series moved to serialization in the first issue of Big Comic, where it was published until the series ended four years later in the April 10, 1972 issue. The manga was adapted into an anime TV series which aired on NET from October 3, 1968 to September 24, 1969. The series won the 1968 Shogakukan Manga Award.
In addition to the manga and anime series, a live action period drama series was aired on Fuji TV from 1981 to 1982 as part of their Jidaigeki Special series. A total of four specials were created and aired. Sabu and Ichi were played by veteran actors Tomokazu Miura and Tatsuo Umemiya (respectively), with Yūko Natori and Junzaburō Ban playing the parts of Midori and her father, Saheiji.
The series follows the adventures of Sabu, a young Edo bakufu investigator traveling with the blind master swordsman Ichi. In their travels, they assist the common people in solving mysteries and righting wrongs (usually committed by bandits or corrupt officials). Sabu is engaged to Midori, the daughter of his boss, who works as a police officer for the Tokugawa shogunate.
- Sabu (佐武?)
- Voiced by: Kei Tomiyama (ep.1-33), Makio Inoue (ep.34-52))
- A handsome young warrior. His main weapon is a jutte attached to a long hemp rope, and he is an expert in using it to capture villains in order to turn them over to the authorities. He is originally from a poor village. He works for Saheiji.
- Ichi (市?)
- Voiced by: Teiji Ōmiya
- A blind anma masseur who is also a master swordsman. He is a close friend of Sabu and frequently helps him capture criminals. His sword is similar to the one used by Zatoichi. All of the hair on his head (including eyebrows) is shaved, and his eyes are milky-white due to his blindness. He lost his sight due to being kicked in the face by a horse when he was very young, and he trained with the sword since that time.
- Saheiji (佐平次?)
- Voiced by: Kōichi Kitamura
- A police detective, and Sabu's boss. He has a weak constitution, however, so spends a lot of time in bed. He generally only goes out in order to arrest those captured by Sabu.
- Tanabe Yasunobu (田辺 安之進?)
- Voiced by: Osamu Kobayashi
- Sabu and Saheiji's boss. The equivalent of a chief of police for the Edo bakufu.