Ryoko Yamagishi (山岸 凉子 Yamagishi Ryōko?, born 1947 in Hokkaidō) is a female manga artist. She is considered to be one of the Year 24 Group. She studied ballet as a child, which plays a part in many of her works. When she read the manga of Machiko Satonaka in 1964, she decided to pursue becoming a mangaka. Although her parents did not agree with this, in 1966 she entered a competition in Shōjo Friend and was a semi-finalist. She applied to Kodansha and sent some short stories to COM. In 1968, after completing her art studies in Hokkaido, she moved to Tokyo and applied for Shuiesha. The next year, she made her debut with "left< And >right " レフトアンドライト, a short story which ran in Ribon. In 1983, she won the Kodansha Manga Award for shōjo manga for Hi Izuru Tokorono Tenshi. In 2007 she won the Grand Prize for the 11th Annual Tezuka Osamu Cultural Prize for Maihime Τερψιχόρα (The Dancing Girl; Terpsichore)
Her works normally have occult themes, although her most popular are Arabesque, about Russian ballet, and Hi Izuru Tokorono Tenshi. According to Yoshihiro Yonezawa, Yamagishi's style is influenced by Art Nouveau.
- Arabesque (アラベスク)
- Ten-nin Kara Kusa (天人唐草)
- Yo-u-sei-Ou (妖精王) "The Faerie King"
- Banshee (バンシー泣き女)
- Sphinx (スピンクス)
- Hi Izuru Tokorono Tenshi (日出処の天子)
- Kyoufu no amaimono ikka (恐怖の甘い物一家)
- Ki Rai Gou (鬼来迎)
- Yasha Gozen (夜叉御前)
- Happyaku Bikuni (八百比丘尼)
- Tokijiku no Kaku no Konomi (時じくの香（かく）の木の実)
- Konohana Sakuya Hime (木花佐久毘売)
- Tut-ankh-amen (ツタンカーメン)
- Isis (イシス)
- Haku Gan Shi (白眼子)
- Τερψιχόρα (テレプシコーラ)
- Shiroi Heya no Futari (白い部屋のふたり)
- Thorn, Matt (2001). "Shôjo Manga—Something for the Girls". The Japan Quarterly 48 (3). Retrieved 2007-12-16.
- Thorn, Matt (2005). "A History of Manga". Animerica: Anime & Manga Monthly 4 (2,4, & 6). Retrieved 2007-12-16.
- Joel Hahn. "Kodansha Manga Awards". Comic Book Awards Almanac. Retrieved 2007-08-21.
- "11th Annual Tezuka Cultural Prize Winners Announced". Retrieved 2009-07-03.
- Amano, Masanao; Julius Wiedemann (2004). Manga Design. Taschen. ISBN 3822825913.
|40x40px||This biographical article about a manga artist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|