Road to Perdition is a series of fictional works written by Max Allan Collins.
The comic book of the original series, with art by Richard Piers Rayner, was published by DC Comics' imprint, Paradox Press. It was adapted into the 2002 film of the same name, starring Tom Hanks, for which Collins also wrote the novelization.
- Road to Perdition
The basis for the film, this story is loosely based on the Japanese manga series Lone Wolf and Cub: Michael O'Sullivan, the ruthless but honorable enforcer for a crime syndicate, is personally betrayed by his masters and is forced to flee with his young son Michael Jr. on a quest for revenge. The story is set in the American Midwest during the Great Depression and draws upon several historical figures, especially the gangster John Patrick Looney, of Rock Island, Illinois; in real life, Looney came into conflict with Dan Drost, a formerly loyal lieutanant in their crime organization, and their feud eventually led to the death of Looney's son Connor.
- On the Road to Perdition
This three-part miniseries of graphic novels was written after the original story, but deals with events within the same timeframe. All three parts were published as individual installments, but have also been reprinted as a single combined volume.
- Road to Purgatory and Road to Paradise
These two prose sequels deal with the adult life of Michael O'Sullivan Jr., under his adoptive identity of Michael Satariano: after military service in Bataan during World War II, he returns to the world of organized crime to seek revenge on other gangsters who had been complicit in his father's death.
Script error: No such module "anchor".
- Road to Perdition (by Max Allan Collins, with Richard Piers Rayner 204 pages):
- On the Road to Perdition Book 1: Oasis (with José Luis García-López and Josef Rubinstein), 96 pages.
- On the Road to Perdition Book 2: Sanctuary (with José Luis García-López and Steve Lieber), 96 pages.
- On the Road to Perdition Book 3: Detour (with José Luis García-López and Steve Lieber), 96 pages.
- Road to Perdition: On the Road, 296 pages (single-volume collection of Books 1-3 above).
- Road to Perdition (film novelization), 256 pages, Onyx, June 2002, ISBN 0451410297, ISBN 978-0451410290)
- Road to Purgatory (288 pages, by William Murrow, 2004, ISBN 0060540273)
- Road to Paradise (289 pages, by Willian Murrow, 2005, ISBN 9780060540289, ISBN 0060540281)
- Singh, Arune (2002-08-07). "Collins' 'Road' to the Future". Comic Book Resources.
- Titan Books section
- Singh, Arune (2002-06-16). "Just the Facts Ma'am: Max Collins Talks 'Road to Perdition'". Comic Book Resources.
- Max Allan Collins on Perdition’s Sanctuary: SBC Q&A, Comics Bulletin, November 26
- Review of Road to Perdition, Comics Bulletin