Q-version is the English translation for the Chinese term Q版 (pinyin: Kiū bǎn), referring to the cartoonification or infantilization in the artistic renderings of real life or serious human, animal figures or other characters or objects, especially in the styles of Japanimation. "Q" is most likely a Chinese approximation of the English word "cute".
Q-version characters, in the forms of cartoons, video animation, and plastic or stuffed toys have established a trend in many Asia-Pacific societies such as Japan, South Korea, Taiwan and Hong Kong. The term Q-version was most likely coined in Chinese by the Hong Kongers after Anime or Manga representations of politicians, celebrities and serious subjects became popular in their place of origin, Japan.
Mainland China was hit by the Q-version craze of late, but with much controversy, such as the Q-version Kuso edition of the government's official grade school Chinese language textbook, in which the term "Q-version", instead of meaning "populated by Anime characters", rather means kuso, or postmodern substitution of serious official ideas with humorous, and sometimes degenerate phenomena that plague contemporary Chinese society.
- Q-version grade-school Chinese language textbook, online text from Sina.com http://book.sina.com.cn/nzt/1094527462_qyuwen/index.shtml
- Q-version Ming Dynasty costumes, created by graphics artists on a Ming Dynasty costumes forum http://www.ming-yiguan.com/viewthread.php?tid=1896
- The Online Album "Q-version Ming Dynasty costumes": http://mingqversion.wikia.com/wiki/MingQVersion_Wiki
- Characters from Wulin Waizhuan, a popular Chinese Kungfu video game, all rendered in a typical Q-version anime style http://www1.jjtang.com/blog/blog-htm-do-showone-itemid-82241-type-blog.html
- Mark Rowswell, also known as Dashan, in his Q-version form http://www.sc.xinhua.org/content/2004-11/05/content_3463590.htm
- Beijing Opera characters, Q-version http://firstname.lastname@example.org
- Characters from the classical fantasy romance Journey to the West, rendered in abstract, stylistic Q-version style http://bbs.chahua.org/read.php?tid=45843