Season 2, Episode 5 (25 overall)
Monday, May 18, 1998
1. A Paper Towel Roll
Answer to Blue's Clues
Blue's: Recycled? is the fifth episode of Blue's Clues from Season 2.
- Steve (North America)
- Kevin (United Kingdom)
- Duarte (Portugal)
- Sidetable Drawer
- Tickety Tock
- Recycle Bins (debut)
- Al Luminum (debut)
Steve & Blue celebrate Earth Day as they reduce, reuse & recycle.
It is clean up time and Steve & Blue find things to clean up. Steve gets the idea that they could turn the trash into something else. He draws a recycling logo. They play a game of Blue's Clues to figure out what Blue wants to make out of recycled things. Steve gets his notebook from Sidetable Drawer. Steve explains hoe to play Blue's Clues to the viewers at home. After that, he had to wash his hands. As he pulled the last piece of paper towel, he spots the first clue on the empty paper towel roll. Steve draws the 1st clue in his notebook. But he needed 2 more clues. Steve encounters a group of recycling bins and figures out what things go in which bin. Steve gets an empty soup can. He puts it in the metal recycling bin. Next, he gets out an empty juice bottle. He puts it in the plastic bin. Now, he gets out an empty milk carton. Steve puts it in the paper bin. Then, he gets out some scrunched up aluminium foil and puts it in the metal recycling bin. Steve thought he was done and as the waste bin tips over to the side, there was an empty tissue box which was the 2nd clue. Steve draws the empty tissue box in the notebook. Steve had 2 clues, a paper towel roll and a tissue box. He needed one more clue. Now, they help Tickety make something neat out of her old stuff. Blue starts by covering the coffee can with the paper. Next, Blue adds some buttons in the can and gives it a shake. Blue helped Tickety make a maraca. In the mail-time segment, Mailbox had some paper to throw away. So, he recycles it in the paper bin. Immediately after that, he gives is ever thrown away, it's all recycled. They start using 2 paper cups attached to a string making a phone. Next, they make a net using 2 poles and plastic holders in which soda cans get put in. Finally, they attach a tire onto a tree making a swing. After that, Steve heard the sounds of rubber bands which was the 3rd clue. Steve draws the 3rd clue, rubber bands in his notebook. Steve had all 3 clues. He and Steve sat in the thinking chair and had to figure out what Blue wants to make out of recycled things. The clues were a paper towel roll, a tissue box and rubber bands. Steve thought he could put the rubber bands over the tissue box and attached the paper towel roll to the side of the tissue box. And if Blue were to pluck the rubber bands, it would make a strumming sound. The answer to Blue's Clues was a guitar. Blue could use the tissue box for the body, the rubber bands for the strings and the paper towel roll for the neck. They just figured out Blue's Clues. The group of characters came back as Blue was making a homemade guitar. It was time for the So Long Song. Blue played her homemade guitar while Steve played his acoustic guitar. After the song, the episode concludes.
- Brass instruments are added to the Blue's Clues Theme Song. It wasn't put to permanent use yet.
- This is the 1st episode where Steve didn't give the wrong answer. It was put to permanent use on later episodes in season 2 starting with Blue's Birthday.
- This episode is actually called What Does Blue Want To Make Out of Recycled Things? It's also known as "Recycle Day" on online listings.
- This episode and the closing credits music appears on the VHS release of Blue's Discoveriesalongside the previous episode.
- Dieu Donne Papermill, Inc. in New York, NY, receives a Special Thanks credit with the note "Not for profit, dedicated to the art of hand papermaking."
- Blue's howling at the end of the Mailtime song sounds similar to the next episode What Was Blue's Dream About? except it's not louder.
- This is the only time Blue almost barked the entire Mailtime song except for when Steve sings, "When it comes I wanna wail".
- In the Mailtime Segment, Mailbox has a crumpled piece of paper, which he says he's going to throw away, but Steve is shocked at the idea and we advise Mailbox to recycle it.
- Steve plays the guitar for the So Long Song.
- The pawprint clean-up shows a reversed version of Blue placing her pawprint on the screen. This is the only time this happens.
- This was likely the way Blue "recycled" the pawprint to use later.
- This is the only animate appearance of the Recycle Bins.
- Angela Santomero is credited as Angela C. Santomero.